Christmas for college football fans does not come in December or even July. It comes on the first Wednesday of every February. It is the day when High School superstars become College Football players. The day is always filled with drama and intrigue, especially when a fan does not get the Defensive Linemen that they thought was under the tree. Brian Kelly and his staff are in the process of signing one of his best classes at Notre Dame. Can they hold on to it and add more?
In The Clubhouse (23 Commitments)
- Steve Elmer — OT — Midland, MI (Midland)
- Malik Zaire — QB — Kettering, OH (Alter)
- James Onwualu — WR — Saint Paul, MN (Cretin Durham Hall)
- Corey Robinson — WR — San Antonio, TX (San Antonio Christian)
- Mike Heuerman — TE — Naples, FL (Barron Collier)
- Durham Smythe — TE — Belton, TX (Belton)
- Max Redfield — ATH — Mission Viejo, CA (Mission Viejo)
- Tarean Folston — RB — Cocoa, FL (Cocoa)
- Greg Bryant — RB — Delray Beach, FL (American Heritage School)
- Cole Luke — CB — Chandler, AZ (Hamilton)
- Torii Hunter — WR — Prosper, TX (Prosper)
- Doug Randolph — LB — Woodberry Forest, VA (Woodberry Forest School)
- Will Fuller — WR — Philadelphia, PA (Roman Catholic)
- Michael Deeb — LB — Plantation, FL (American Heritage School)
- Issac Rochell — DE — McDonough, GA (Eagles Landing Christian Academy)
- Jaylon Smith — LB — Fort Wayne, IN (Bishop Luers)
- John Montelus — OL — Everett, MA (Everett)
- Devin Butler — CB — Washington, DC (Gonzaga College)
- Rashad Kinlaw — Absecon, NJ (Absegami)
- Mike McGlinchey — OL — Philadelphia, PA (William Penn Charter)
- Hunter Bivin — OL — Owensboro, KY (Apollo)
- Colin McGovern — OL — New Lenox, IL (Lincoln-Way West)
- Jacob Matuska — DL — Columbus, OH (Bishop Hartley)
The Battleground (2 Open Scholarships)
Who’s Likely to Sign?
- Eddie Vanderdoes — DL — Placer, CA (Placer): Vanderdoes is scheduled to make his announcement at 8 p.m. EST live on MaxPreps.com on National Signing Day. Vanderdoes has a final list of five schools: Alabama, Notre Dame, UCLA, USC and Washington. He visited Alabama this past weekend. He also has visited Notre Dame and USC this past month.
Who’s a Longshot?
- Kylie Fitts — DE — Redlands, CA (East Valley): Fitts de-committed from USC when they denied him early enrollment. There has been plenty of speculation about why that happened. Since then, Fitts has visited Notre Dame, UCLA and Utah.
- Deon Hollins Jr. — OLB — Missouri City, TX (Marshall): Hollins visited Notre Dame the weekend of January 25th. It has been reported that he enjoyed his trip. However, it appears that Hollins will stick to his UCLA commitment.
Storylines To Watch
1. Can Notre Dame hold on to everyone? The history of Notre Dame on National Signing Day tells us that there will be at least one defection at the 11th hour. In 2012, the Irish lost Deontay Greenberry at the last moment to Houston. This year, it appears that everyone is solid. However, that does not mean that someone could flip at the last moment. Tarean Folston, Running Back from Cocoa, Florida, has been the shakiest down the stretch. He told Notre Dame he would be signing with them. Will he keep this promise or will he spurn Notre Dame for Auburn?
2. Can Notre Dame make it to the top? Notre Dame sits in the Top 5 of all reputable team recruiting rankings. If Notre Dame lands Vanderdoes and Fitts, will this boost the Irish to the top slot in these rankings? It all depends on who signs with Notre Dame and how every other team does that surrounds the Irish like Alabama and Florida.