Notre Dame returned to the practice field on Monday for practice eight of fall camp. The Irish were again in full pads. Here are some observations from the practice update offered by UND.com:
- As reported earlier in the day, Notre Dame Safety Nicky Baratti has re-injured his shoulder and will require season ending surgery. Although this is a big loss for the Fighting Irish, Notre Dame has several options at Safety that include Elijah Shumate, Matthias Farley, Austin Collinsworth, Eliar Hardy, John Turner and Max Redfield. If the season began today, Shumate and Farley would most likely take the field as Notre Dame’s two-deep defenders.
- Brian Kelly called T.J. Jones the “playmaker” of Notre Dame’s Offense. His career 111 receptions and 1321 yards make him the top returner on Offense. How will he be when he is THE guy? Kelly suggested in today’s press conference that Jones is surrounded by a better cast of playmakers than his previous counterparts Michael Floyd and Tyler Eifert.
- Christian Lombard could end up playing Right Guard or Right Tackle depending on who lines up next to him. If Hanratty is one of the “best five” Offensive Linemen on the team, then Lombard will likely play Tackle. However, if Elmer or Stanley are deemed to be in that group, Lombard could be moved to the Guard position.
- Despite a solid push by Lo Wood, KeiVarae Russell will be Notre Dame’s starter at the Cornerback position along with Senior Bennett Jackson.
- Brian Kelly almost seemed giddy when discussing Sophomore Sheldon Day. Kelly called the Defensive Linemen as good as Nix and Tuitt. Notre Dame’s head man praised his motor and his first step. Day even lead the break at the beginning of today’s practice. If the Irish have a star in Day, they will be able to fill the shoes left by Kapron Lewis-Moore.