The Notre Dame basketball team will not be part of The Madness
This should not come as a shock to any Notre Dame basketball realist, but it is now official: The Irish will not be dancing in March.
More from Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- PointsBet Promo: Bet $50, Win an Official Jersey at Fanatics!
- Caesars Indiana Sign-Up Promo: Win $250 GUARANTEED Bonus Betting on Notre Dame This Week!
- FanDuel + DraftKings Indiana Promos: Bet $10 on Notre Dame, Win $400 Bonus GUARANTEED!
- New Caesars + DraftKings Indiana Promos: $450 GUARANTEED Bonus Backing Notre Dame vs. Navy!
- FanDuel Indiana Promo: Back Sam Hartman to win Heisman With $1,000 No-Sweat Bet
As the NCAA selection show ran its course and the names of the 68 teams who would participate in the NCAA Tournament were read off, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish were simply not on the list.
Injuries doomed the 2017-2018 season for the Irish, who still had a chance to make their case by showing up to the ACC Tournament and notching some big wins — possibly winning it all with a healthy squad. As we now know, that run came to an end at the hands of the Duke Blue Devils. A win over Duke might have been enough for the Irish to punch their ticket, but it just wasn’t in the cards.
All Mike Brey, the Notre Dame basketball team and the rest of us can do no is wait for the NIT selection show to commence. Reading through the various blogs and tea leaves, it looks like the Irish will be slotted as a top-3 seed in the NIT. That’s not a bad deal, considering it could mean as many as three more games in South Bend — as the higher seeded team plays host in the NIT through the first three rounds.