The Notre Dame Fighting Irish will take on the Hampton Pirates in the first round of the NIT.
As we all found out on Sunday night, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish men’s basketball team will continue its season this Tuesday night against the Hampton Pirates in the NIT. The Irish are a 1-seed and will host the 8th-seeded Pirates at 9 pm EST.
Here is a quick overview of the 2017-2018 Hampton Pirates:
Head Coach: Edward Joyner Jr.
Joyner has taken the Pirates to three NCAA Tournaments, two NITs and 2 CBI tournaments since he took over the program in 2009. He has four MEAC Conference regualr season championships and two conference tournament championships to his name. His record at Hampton is 153-139.
Points: Jermaine Marrow, 18.7 ppg
Rebounds: Greg Heckstall, 5.9 rpg
Assists: Jermaine Marrow, 5.4 apg
Blocks: Trevond Barnes, 1.3 bpg
More from Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- PointsBet Promo: Bet $50, Win an Official Jersey at Fanatics!
- Caesars Indiana Sign-Up Promo: Win $250 GUARANTEED Bonus Betting on Notre Dame This Week!
- FanDuel + DraftKings Indiana Promos: Bet $10 on Notre Dame, Win $400 Bonus GUARANTEED!
- New Caesars + DraftKings Indiana Promos: $450 GUARANTEED Bonus Backing Notre Dame vs. Navy!
- FanDuel Indiana Promo: Back Sam Hartman to win Heisman With $1,000 No-Sweat Bet
What should scare the Irish?
Morrow. He’s a scoring point-guard with a quick step to the basket and a capable free-throw shooter. He’ll be a handful to defend no matter who draws the assignment.
Notre Dame also needs to account for Akim Mitchell, Hampton’s best three-point shooter. When he’s on, so are the Pirates.
Hampton won’t be intimidated by the Irish or the atmosphere. They’ve face two of this year’s NCAA Tournament 1-seeds — Xavier and Virginia — on the road.
Why shouldn’t Notre Dame be worried?
Hampton is smaller and not a great shooting team. As long as the Irish can contest most shocks, it should be a long night for the Pirates. Hampton’s best win was over North Carolina Central — the same team that just upset the Pirates in the MEAC Tournament Championship game.