Tyler Eifert will return to the Cincinnati Bengals for one year.
As we told you here on Slap The Sign yesterday, Tyler Eifert was still waiting to hear where his next paycheck would be coming from.
Long story short — the will be no change in employment for the former Notre Dame tight end.
More from Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- PointsBet Promo: Bet $50, Win an Official Jersey at Fanatics!
- Caesars Indiana Sign-Up Promo: Win $250 GUARANTEED Bonus Betting on Notre Dame This Week!
- FanDuel + DraftKings Indiana Promos: Bet $10 on Notre Dame, Win $400 Bonus GUARANTEED!
- New Caesars + DraftKings Indiana Promos: $450 GUARANTEED Bonus Backing Notre Dame vs. Navy!
- FanDuel Indiana Promo: Back Sam Hartman to win Heisman With $1,000 No-Sweat Bet
Eifert signed a 1-year deal with the Bengals on Thursday worth $8 million. The deal is a win-win for both Eifert and the Bengals. It gives Cincinnati another proven receiving target with minimal long-term investment on their part. It also gives them some continuity in a division where seemingly every team is trying to figure out who they are heading into the new season.
As for Eifert, it gives him the security of one more season to prove himself before he goes through the same free agency process against in 2019.
Unless the Bengals draft one of the top available tight ends, it would appear that Eifert will be the starter again in Cincinnati as long as he is healthy. There are five players currently on the depth chart behind him — none of whom have accumulated any signficant stats or logged much playing time in the NFL.
Eifert was the highest profile former Notre Dame player avaiable during free agency this year. We wish him the best heading into the 2018 campaign — one where he can hopefully stay healthy and subequently sign one more significant contract during his career.