The Notre Dame women’s basketball team is the only No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tourney without a projected 2018 WNBA draft pick on its roster.
As if you needed another example of just how special the 2017-2018 Notre Dame women’s basketball team is, I present you with some lazy-yet-eye-opening Tuesday afternoon research.
But there’s more.
Of the sixteen remaining teams in the 2018 NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament, nine have players projected to be drafted in this year’s WNBA draft — according to the major mock drafts around the web.
Notre Dame is not one of those teams.
More from Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- PointsBet Promo: Bet $50, Win an Official Jersey at Fanatics!
- Caesars Indiana Sign-Up Promo: Win $250 GUARANTEED Bonus Betting on Notre Dame This Week!
- FanDuel + DraftKings Indiana Promos: Bet $10 on Notre Dame, Win $400 Bonus GUARANTEED!
- New Caesars + DraftKings Indiana Promos: $450 GUARANTEED Bonus Backing Notre Dame vs. Navy!
- FanDuel Indiana Promo: Back Sam Hartman to win Heisman With $1,000 No-Sweat Bet
Additionally, the three other No. 1 seeds in the tournament all have projected 2018 draft picks.
Slap in the face? Not really. It’s more of a testament to how well this team has been able to play despite what would be considered a lack of perceived star power in its senior class. And it makes the job head coach Muffet McGraw has done this season look that much more impressive.
It also bodes well for Notre Dame in the 2018-2019 season. It’s a safe bet that Arike Ogunbowale, Jessica Shepard and Marina Mabrey will all hear their names called in the 2019 WNBA Draft. Jackie Young will likely hear here name called in 2020.
Before any of that happens, however, we’ll hear all four of their names called on a regular basis over the PA system at Purcell Pavilion next season. Irish fans will take it.