Notre Dame basketball season is fast-approaching. Let’s check in on recruiting.
We are creeping up on the early signing period (November 14-21) and teams are starting to fill their 2019 recruiting coffers. Things have been pretty quiet around the Notre Dame basketball program lately. Irish fans have been relegated to the sidelines lately while other programs in the ACC are landing some of their top targets on a seemingly daily basis.
I wanted to take a quick minute to give some updates on the top Notre Dame targets in the 2019 class.
- Tre Mitchell: The Mitchell official visit came and went a couple weeks ago. To my surprise, a commitment did not occur. At one time I thought Notre Dame was a shoo-in for the 6’9 center. Georgia Tech big man whisperer Eric Reveno was in to see Mitchell on Sept. 30 and Tre is on an official to UConn this weekend, so this could be more of a fight than I originally thought. Irish fans should probably buckle up for a nerve racking process.
- Joe Girard III: Girard named Notre Dame to his final six in June. The 3-star guard hails from northern New York, but I always thought Michigan was the front runner due to Wolverines coach John Beilein’s relationship with JG3’s father. Since announcing his finalists, he has only taken two official visits: Syracuse and Boston College. Now, according to an article released on Sept. 29, Girard is set to make his college decision. At this time there are no additional official visits scheduled. Sorry to say this fellow Golden Domers, but this one smells like an orange grove.
- Jeremiah Robinson-Earl: Color me shocked. I thought for sure that JRE would commit to Kansas on his official visit the weekend of Sept. 28. Next up is the Arizona official visit on Oct.12. In a recent interview,JRE did say he would like to commit before his senior season of high school started. I think Kansas is still the clear cut favorite here. He has family from the area and Kansas is his dad’s alma mater. With Kansas’ name being drug through the mud in the SDNY, it could be plausible that JRE is not a sure thing for Lawrence though. He could be wide open. Though, Arizona doesn’t seem to be struggling while all this craziness is happening.
- Cole Anthony: Anthony is taking a couple weeks off from official visits before heading out to Eugene on Oct.13. There was an interesting story this week that came out saying Anthony’s final 5 was Notre Dame, UNC, Oregon, Georgetown and Kansas. I am not sure if that is accurate, as the usual recruiting outlets have yet to confirm it. Anthony is reportedly not signing until the spring, but if he schedules his final two visits for the coming weeks, that may signal something different. I honestly have no idea what to expect here, but my money is still on UNC.
- Zeke Nnaji: For those who may not have heard, Nnaji trimmed his list to five last weekend and eliminated the Irish.
- Chris Ledlum: The 6-6 swing man has been pretty quiet since blowing up this past summer on the AAU circuit. He recently transferred to Northfield Mount Hermon in Gill, Mass. Ledlum officially visited Harvard last weekend, but he has yet to schedule any additional official visits. I really like Notre Dame’s chances here if they decide to get after him. This feels like a Spring signee to me.