For those Notre Dame football fans who enjoy watching former Fighting Irish players on the next level, there's some very good news. Quite a few ex-Golden Domers are still active, despite there being only four teams left in the playoffs.
The Chiefs and Ravens, especially have quite a few guys who are not only playing on Sunday, but will be playing some serious minutes. It always seems like it's even a little bit more interesting when former Notre Dame football players go head-to-head with one another.
Former Notre Dame football stars on the Baltimore Ravens
- The Ravens have three former Fighting Irish stars on the roster. Head and shoulders above the rest is Kyle Hamilton. Hamilton is one of the best defenders in the NFL and it stands to reason that he's going to play a big part in B-more's defense against Patrick Mahomes and company.
- That's not to say that Ronnie Stanley is some kind of slouch. If Hamilton is already one of the best defensive backs in the league, then Stanley is one of the best offensive lineman in the NFL.
- Another offensive lineman, Sam Mustipher is on the playoff roster for the Ravens in his first year in Baltimore. He started two games this year after spending the last three in Chicago.
Kansas City Chiefs
- Drue Tranquill is in his first season with the Chiefs after spending his first four years with the San Diego Chargers. He had nearly 80 tackles this year and had a nice game against the Buffalo Bills in the previous round. He also got into a snowball fight with some fans during the win.
Detroit Lions are loaded with ex-Notre Dame football stars
- Scott Daly is a longsnapper who is in his third year with the Detroit Lions. However, he suffered an injury in the middle of the season and is on the IL.
- Brandon Joseph likely won't play in the NFC championship game, but he's spent his entire rookie season on the Lions' practice squad, so he is helping them prepare for the game.
- Like Joseph, Julian Okwara hasn't seen much action in games, but he is a member of the Lions' practice squad.
- Romeo Okwara could actually see some action against the San Francisco 49ers. He's played in an average of 34 snaps over the past two weeks for Detroit.
- Chris Smith is another former Notre Dame football defensive lineman who has spent the year on the Lions practice squad. Quite the collection of former Irish on that unit.
- Brock Wright had a key third down reception for the Lions in their divisional round win over the Buccaneers. Unfortunately, he also broke his arm in that game and is done for the rest of the playoffs.